viernes, 27 de mayo de 2016

Manchester United hire Jose Mourinho as new manager

English Premier League club Manchester United have named Jose Mourinho as their new manager. The Portuguese bench boss replaces Louis van Gaal, who was sacked earlier in the week.
Manchester United made the long-expected appointment of former Chelsea, Real Madrid, Inter, and Porto manager official on Friday, announcing the move via their Twitter account.
A statement posted on United's website said the 53-year-old Mourinho had signed a three-year deal with his new club, with an option for a further year which would keep him in Manchester until at least 2020.
"José is quite simply the best manager in the game today. He has won trophies and inspired players in countries across Europe and, of course, he knows the Premier League very well, having won three titles here," the club's executive vice chairman, Ed Woodward, said.
"I’d like to take this opportunity to welcome him to Manchester United. His track record of success is ideal to take the club forward."
Mourinho said it was a "special honour" to be named manager of Manchester United.
"It is a club known and admired throughout the world. There is a mystique and a romance about it which no other club can match," he said.
"I have always felt an affinity with Old Trafford; it has hosted some important memories for me in my career and I have always enjoyed a rapport with the United fans. I’m looking forward to being their manager and enjoying their magnificent support in the coming years."
Mourinho replaces the 64-year-old Dutchman Louis van Gaal, whose sacking was announced on Monday, just two days after United beat Crystal Palace 2-1 to win the FA Cup.

French Open: Nadal pulls out with injury, Murray cruises

Nine-time champion Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the French Open with an injury to his left wrist. He said he had been playing with painkilling injections in the early rounds. Among the women, Annika Beck bowed out.
Frankreich French Open Rafael Nadal in Paris
Rafael Nadal unexpectedly bowed out at Roland Garros on Friday, saying his left wrist would not permit him to play his third round game.
"I have a problem with my wrist... Yesterday I played with an injection, I could play but yesterday night I started to feel more pain," left-hander Nadal said. "Today I felt I could not move my wrist." The most successful player in history at Roland Garros, the "King of Clay" said that he "probably wouldn't take the risk of playing" in the early rounds of any other tournament.
The 29-year-old had showed little sign of injury when dispatching Facundo Bagnis 6-0 6-3 6-0 in the second round on Thursday. Nadal said the injury was preventing him from hitting his forehand properly.
"I will be working very hard to try and be ready for Wimbledon. I need a couple of weeks of immobilization," he said.
Murray speeds up his game
Andy Murray had been making life hard for himself at the French Open, needing all five sets to clear the first two rounds, but the Briton burst back to form on Friday when he easily overcame giant Croatian Ivo Karlovic 6-1 6-4 7-6 to reach the fourth round.
Andy Murray Roland Garros French Open Tennis
Murray put his five-set fetish to bed in the third round
If the second seed is to break his duck and triumph on the Roland Garros clay for the first time a week on Sunday, he needs to stop tiring himself out in early rounds against supposed no-hopers.
A five-set comeback against 37-year-old Radek Stepanek was followed by a bruising encounter with French wildcard Mathias Bourgue. But against big server Karlovic, who is never going to really threaten on the red dust, Murray was straight out of the traps to avoid the errors of earlier in the week.
He will be joined in round four by Canadian eighth seed Milos Raonic, who defeated Andrej Martin of Slovakia in straight sets. Defending champion Stan Wawrinka faces France´s Jeremy Chardy later.
German singles competitors eliminated
In the women's draw, the last German competitor Annika Beck went down 6-4 2-6 6-1 to Romanian 25th seed Irina-Camelia Begu.
"The performance really is sobering, of course we have other expectations. Many of them couldn't produce their best tennis, for a variety of reasons," Fed Cup women's coach Barbara Rittner told German sporst news agency SID. "But this isn't the end of the world either. The girls will put on a very different show in Wimbledon."
There was also a shock with former Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova dumped out 6-0 6-7 6-0 by unheralded American Shelby Rogers. Other seeds Simona Halep,
Samantha Stosur and Garbine Muguruza won though.